Cinco de Mayo is a day away, and no doubt you have a fun day planned. But do you know what you're really celebrating? No, it's not Mexican Independence Day — it's the celebration of a great battle between France and Mexico in Puebla, which really turned the tide for Mexican morale in 1863!
Ever since then, we have taken the day to enjoy good friends, good fun, and even greater food! While you can always go out and get some delicious tacos, planning the whole feast yourself is more fun! And these recipes are definitely worth the extra effort — trust us!
Before going into ideas for your main dish, you will need the staples — mainly tortillas, rice, beans, and salsa!
- Homemade Tortillas: Store-bought tortillas do the job, but the appeal of these tender and chewy homemade tortillas is impossible to deny!
- Easy Mexican Rice: An excellent side for any dish, Mexican rice adds extra flavor and texture you can't believe you've missed out on!
- Refried Beans: Having beans with your main dish is a great balance of flavors and works as a delicious filling for other recipes (like burritos!).
- Sweet Smoky Salsa: If you're not a big spice fan but like a little extra kick now and then, this sweet and smoky salsa is just the thing to bring out the zest in every dish.
Once you have your staples, the fun bit is the main dish!
- Chalupas: This common street food has a slight makeover — but is still incredibly delicious! And since this recipe has so many parts, give yourself enough time to cook each part!
- Chicken Mole Tacos: Is it really Cinco de Mayo without tacos? Exactly — and these chicken mole tacos more than deliver!
- Enchilada Cups: If you're making a ton of food for a whole party, these cups are perfect for guests to have bite-sized enchiladas at their fingertips.
- Chicken Empanadas: There are many ways to make empanadas, but these are a savory, sweet, yet spicy combination you must eat to believe!
- Mini Chimichangas: What's the difference between a burrito and a chimichanga? The latter is deep-fried! And with this recipe, you'll have mini-fried goodness for all your guests!
- Elote: A much-loved street food, elote is grilled corn topped with mayo, cheese, chili powder, and any other toppings you like — and now you can make it in your own kitchen!
- Chicken Chilaquiles: Are you ready to feel full? These chicken chilaquiles will do that and more with extra-thick tortilla chips topped with tomato sauce, chicken, radishes, sour cream, and lime juice!
- Margarita Granita with Spicy Shrimp: Seafood lovers will go nuts for this spicy shrimp recipe — especially since it comes with a fresh, chilled margarita!
- Breakfast Burritos: Start your day right with this delicious breakfast burrito recipe! And the best thing is that it only takes 35 minutes to make, which is perfect to start your busy day!
- Smoky Fajita Stir-Fry Lettuce Cups: If it has mostly vegetables, which makes it healthy, right? With this fajita stir-fry lettuce cup recipe, you can almost believe the calories don't count!
- Cheesy Quesadillas: Whether you crave a simple dish or want to start the party off with something mild, these cheesy quesadillas will be a sure hit. And they don't take long to make, which is a bonus!
- Butternut Mole Enchiladas: Sweet, nutty, and a bit of a kick make these butternut mole enchiladas a must-have for any celebration!
What's for Drinks
While you can have anything you like to drink with these fantastic main dishes, mixing things up a little is always fun!
- Agua Fresca: While the name translates to "fresh water," this drink involves a mix of fruit and sugar to create a sweet yet refreshing drink!
- Horchata: You might not think rice and your drinks should go together, but Horchata will change your mind. This creamy beverage is a Mexican staple you shouldn't miss!
- Margarita: For a little extra Cinco de Mayo fun, try this perfect balance of sweet and sour margaritas that has something everyone will love!
- Coquito: While traditional to Puerto Rico, coquito is too tasty to deny with its blend of coconut, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, and rum!
Feeling stuffed? Just wait — there's more! And these desserts are definitely worth it!
- Tres Leches Cake: A classic Mexican postre (dessert), this cake is a super-sweet and chewy delight! And yes, you will be using three different kinds of milk!
- Bunuelos: This delicious recipe makes cinnamon-sugar crisps that are fast and easy to make. And for extra zest, serve it with a bowl of vanilla ice cream and fresh berries!
- Purple Paletas: Kids and adults will go nuts for these frozen delights. Not only are they tasty, but they'll also turn your tongue purple!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
From staples to desserts, now you have the perfect menu to start Cinco de Mayo right! It'll be the party no one will forget anytime soon. But before you start cooking, are your kitchen appliances working 100 percent? No? Don't worry — Boone's Maytag Home Appliance Center have you covered!
We have various popular brands in stock, which we can ship to you quickly! And if you have any questions, call our team or stop by! We'll get you what you need, pronto!