When it comes to choosing the perfect cooking appliance for your kitchen, there are so many decisions to make before you can even start window shopping! Do you want gas or electric (and now you have to throw in induction!)? Are you going to keep it as part of your countertop or install it in the wall? If you choose a wall, what kind of cooktop do you want? Do you want one or two ovens?
Where do you even begin? That’s where we come in (you may have noticed this is kind of our area of expertise)! There are basically three big things you need to decide before you start looking for your kitchen appliance:
#1: Do you want electric or gas?
It may seem obvious, but the main difference between a gas and an electric cooking appliance is the heat source that they use to cook food! Gas appliances use natural gas or propane to produce an open flame to heat the oven and the cooktop. Electric appliances use electricity to heat metal coils on the cooktop and elements inside the oven.
Why should you buy a gas cooking appliance?
- Faster Heating and Cooking: Gas tends to heat up faster, which can be helpful when you're in a rush or need to cook something quickly!
- Better Temperature Control: Gas offers more precise temperature control! This is important when you’re cooking delicate dishes that require a specific temperature, or you need to adjust the heat quickly and accurately.
- Cost-Effective: Running a gas kitchen appliance can be more cost-effective if you live in an area with affordable natural gas!
- Versatility in Cooking Methods: A gas appliance is often preferred by chefs and home cooks alike because they offer high heat options and allow you to use certain cooking methods that electric ranges may not. You can easily use non-flat cookware (such as a wok); you can sear or grill directly on the burners; and broiling is more effective!
Why should you buy an electric cooking appliance?
- Energy-Efficient: Electric is great for those who are conscious of their energy use in their home!
- Even Heating: Electric kitchen appliances distribute heat evenly throughout the oven, which is important for home bakers where consistent heat is essential for great results!
- Increased Safety: Electric appliances don’t produce any fumes or flames, which can make them a safer option for your kitchen if you have children or pets.
- Easy to Clean: Is there anything worse than trying to clean burned food or grease off your burners? Well, when you choose electric, because there aren’t any grates, cleaning is a breeze!
Ultimately, the choice between a gas and electric oven comes down to your personal preference, budget, kitchen availability, and what kind of cooking/baking your family does on a regular basis!
#2: Do you want a single oven or a double oven?
Most kitchen designs up until recently relied on a single, under-the-counter oven – but the possibilities have really opened up for home chefs and families in recent years! So what appliance is right for your kitchen?
What are the benefits of a double oven?
- Increased Cooking Capacity: Double ovens have two separate oven cavities, which means you can cook twice the food at once! No more stressing over oven space for holidays or other family gatherings, you’ve got this in the bag.
- Cooking Flexibility: Having two ovens means that you can cook at two different temperatures or with two different cooking methods at the same time!
- Time-Saving: It goes without saying that being able to cook two (or more!) different dishes at the same time saves you time when you’re trying to get a meal on the table.
- Convenient: Double ovens can come in a variety of configurations, including stacked and side-by-side, so you can find the right oven for your kitchen space or personal preference! Plus – with a stacked oven, it would mean not having to bend down as far to reach as you would with a single oven.
Overall, a double oven can provide greater cooking capacity, flexibility, and convenience compared to a single oven – BUT some kitchens may still benefit from a single oven. Single ovens are great for those who don’t need the complexity of a double oven or who are looking for something more cost-effective. The choice all comes down to personal preference and your kitchen design!
#3: Where should I put my oven in my kitchen?
Now that you’ve thought about what kind of cooking appliance you’d like and what heating source you prefer, it’s time to think about where you should put your new appliance: installed in the wall or under the countertop?
What are the benefits of keeping your kitchen appliance under the countertop?
- Space-Saving: Not only does keeping your appliance as part of your countertop keep your wall space open, but it is also more of an “all-in-one" appliance than a wall oven! PLUS – that valuable square footage you save with a compact appliance leaves more room in your design for an island or table.
- Cost-Effective: A traditional all-in-one cooking appliance can be easily found at a competitive cost! Additionally, you save money by not having to purchase both a wall oven and a cooktop – the combination of both can add up to more than a high-end brand range.
- Easy to Repair: Choosing a traditional appliance allows for easy access to the entire thing should something need repairing or replacing!
What are the benefits of installing your oven into the wall?
- Space-Saving: Wall ovens are designed to be installed into a cabinet or wall, which can free up valuable counter space in your kitchen! This is especially beneficial in smaller kitchens where space is limited.
- Accessibility: Wall ovens can be installed at a height that is more convenient for you – making it easier to access and use!
- Design: Wall ovens can give your kitchen a sleek and modern look, and you can find one that fits your overall kitchen aesthetic.
- Flexibility: Wall ovens come in a range of sizes and configurations (single, double, stacked, side-by-side, etc.) and can be installed at eye level or at a more traditional height.
Why is oven placement in your kitchen important?
By choosing between a wall oven and a traditional range, you can make sure that the placement in your kitchen is ideal for your kitchen design and functionality! So what should you consider when thinking about placement?
- Accessibility: Your oven should be placed that is easily accessible to the cook! It should be at a comfortable height and within easy reach.
- Safety: Your oven should be away from high-traffic areas and not positioned near flammable materials in your home.
- Ventilation: The oven should be placed in a location that allows for proper ventilation. This means there should be adequate space around the oven to allow for air to circulate and the ability to add a hood/fan to remove smoke and odors.
- Workflow: The placement of the oven should also take into account the workflow of the kitchen. It should be located in a position that allows for easy movement between the oven and other key areas!
- Aesthetics: Oven placement can also have an impact on the overall look and feel of the kitchen. The range or cooktop is often seen as the focal point of the kitchen, so it’s important to be able to place your cooking appliance appropriately!
Are you ready to choose your new kitchen appliance? Or do you have more questions on whether a range, cooktop, or wall oven would be best? We’re here to help! Stop into Boone's Maytag Home Appliance Center or Contact us today!